
Will you be joining us for drinks tonight once we finish work, Sherry?Sherry,今晚工作结束后你和我们去喝一杯吗?
Oh, I wish I could but I have practice. You know that I’m part of the local frisbee team, right?
哦,我很想去但我有练习。你知道我是当地飞盘队的一员吧。
Really? I didn’t know you play frisbee.
真的吗?我不知道你玩飞盘。
Yeah, I picked it up a few months ago. I am part of an ultimate frisbee team. We are getting ready for a tournament.
是的,我几个月前才开始玩。我是极限飞盘队的一员。我们正在为一个比赛做准备。
Wow, that sounds official. I didn’t realize there are actual tournaments. I just thought frisbees were a toy you played with on the beach in the summer to pass the time.
哇,听起来好专业。我都不知道还有真正的比赛。我以为飞盘只是你在夏天的沙滩上玩,用来打发时间的玩具呢。
Well, they can be. But ultimate frisbee is a real sport that you can compete in.
它们可以是玩具。但极限飞盘是一项真正的运动。你可以参与比赛。
So what is practice like? How many members are on your team?
那都练习什么呢?你们队里有多少人?
I am one of seven players on the team. We usually work on our throwing, catching and other skills during practice.
我是队里七个队员之一。我们通常练习投掷和接盘,以及其他技能。
Well it sounds like you have gotten off to a great start and you are picking up the sport with ease.
听起来你开了个好头,可以很轻松的开始这项运动了。
Grammar语法"Can be"
In today’s dialogue, Sherry says that frisbees “can be” toys, too. This phrase “can be” means this is possible or this is often true, but not always.
在今天的对话中,Sherry说飞盘也可以是玩具。这个短语“can be”的意思是这是可能的,或这通常是真的,但并不总是这样。
Let’s take a look at some examples to see the difference between “can be” and “is/are.”
再来看一些例子看看"can be "和" is/are"之间的区别。
“Playing sports is expensive.” 运动很贵。
“Playing sports can be expensive.” 运动可能很贵。
The second example stresses that this is sometimes true, but not always.
第二个例子强调,这有时是正确的,但并不总是正确的。
Like in today’s dialogue, we can also use “can be” to partly agree with someone’s statement.
就像在今天的对话中,我们也可以用can be来表示部分同意某人的说法。
A: Ella is so competitive!
Ella太好胜了!
B: She can be, but she’s not always competitive. It really depends on the sport.
她有时是,但她并不总是好胜心强。这取决于运动项目。

