- 00:00 Guest intro.
- 02:00 Layoff stories.
- 16:45 Reasons, patterns, signals of a layoff.
- news.shopify.com: We bet that the channel mix - the share of dollars that travel through ecommerce rather than physical retail - would permanently leap ahead by 5 or even 10 years. It’s now clear that bet didn’t pay off.
- blog.google: Ensure that our people and roles are aligned with our highest priorities as a company.
- techcrunch.com: We’ve identified the teams best positioned to capture the opportunity in enterprise in order to bring complete focus, alignment and accountability in our execution.
- 23:28 What explains recent tech layoffs, and why should we be worried? - Research says layoff does not reduce cost.
- 24:10 Reason for layoff and hiring at the same time.
- 25:40 Cash reserve != lower layoff probability
- 27:00 Prioritize growth when money is cheap; prioritize “rule of 40” in today’s world.
- 28:35 Layoff patterns at team level. You don’t know the truth of the “algorithm”. Decisions happen at Director+, even SVP level. Line managers and skip managers don’t have the layoff list. Data collection before executing the layoff.
- 33:25 Meta vs Google layoff strategy difference.
- 36:05 Avoid taking on risky projects.
- 37:20 Survival tips for individual contributors
- Layoffs are random. Always have a backup plan.
- Business critical team; performance evaluation.
- Importance of organizational visibility.
- Be mentally prepared.
- Do enough people work.
- Follow the trend.
- 48:00 Macro tech industry trend.
- 52:08 Ending words.