In 2021, there were 2 billion visits to China’s outdoor tourism sites, such as nature reserves and natural scenic areas. How is this part of the tourism industry coping with a growing demand for outdoor experiences, and did that influence the creation of the country’s national park system?
- Justin Culkin : A Trails - Business Development Director
- Rose Niu 牛红卫 : Paulson Institute - Chief Conservation Officer
- Yefren Nye : TWOC contributor & innovative Green Development Program communications specialist
To go further
- The Trails and Tribulations of China's Outdoors Boom article by Yefren Nye
- Right to Roam article by Yefren Nye
- The Myth of the Chinese Wilderness by Tina Xu (徐盈盈)
- #55 Why is red tourism trending beyond the golden generation? By the Middle Earth Podcast
- #60 The Golden Age of China's Museums? By the Middle Earth Podcast
Middle Earth is made by China Compass Productions and hosted by Aladin Farré. If you have a China-themed cultural project like shooting your next documentary or look for a specific talent, please get in touch!
With thanks to Wen Jiayin for production assistance and Sean Calvo for music support.The World of Chinese Magazine
A magazine about Chinese society, culture, history, arts, language, and more.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase, I may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.